Coconut Oil Plantain Chips

Friday, February 03, 2017


I was seriously the bomb this week when it comes to time spent making some homemade snacks. One of them included -- you guessed it! -- plantain chips! Since we started the Whole30, we've been buying a lot of plantain chips because they are soooo good to snack on or even pair with some Whole30 approved salsa. When I went grocery shopping this past weekend, it occurred to me that it'd probably be much cheaper to just buy plantains and make my own.  

So, low and behold, that's just what I did. It was a first time for me and afterwards I was asking myself -- why in the world have I not done this before?? They are so ridiculously easy to make and, like I said, they have a lot of good uses!

My little Whole30 group is on day 27. Can you believe that!? Only 4 more days to go to get to the end of day 30. Do you want to know how I will be celebrating -- with cheese of course! I'm having a co-worker come over on Tuesday night and I'm going to be whipping up some veggie pizza with my seriously delish gluten-free yuca pizza crust! I so wish I knew how to patent and sell it to specialty stores. If anyone wants to become business partners with me and introduce the world to an amazing gluten-free pizza crust, please let me know!? 

Anyway, even though pizza is one of the most amazing things on earth, plantain chips are pretty cool too and much easier to make.  Read on for a delish-ious new snack food! ;]





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coconut Oil Plantain Chips

Author: A Dash of Delish inspired by: Fed+Fit
Recipe type: snack
Makes: ~5 cups

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 very green plantains
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • salt to taste
METHOD:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. In a small sauce pan, on the lowest heat setting melt coconut oil.
  4. Peal the plantain by slicing it along the outer curve -- but not too deep -- then sliding your finger just inside the cut, pull off the peal. 
  5. Use a slicer or thinly slice by hand your very green plantains (makes for crunchier chips!).
  6. Lay out as a single layer on the parchment-lined baking sheets.
  7. Using a rubber brush, brush on melted coconut oil to plantain slices. You could take the time to do both sides or just do the top side as I did. 
  8. Salt to taste.
  9. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Make sure you watch it near the end as some will start to brown more than others. Feel free to remove the ones that become completed before the others so they do not burn.
  10. EnJoY!! 






You Might Also Like

0 comments