Cross Hatch Bacon Quiche

Tuesday, January 24, 2017


Cross Hatch Bacon Quiche -- yes you read that right -- cross hatch bacon. This quiche is for the ultimate bacon lover! You use all bacon, inside and out, plus a fair amount of the bacon grease! It's beautifully weaved bacon just calling all bacon lovers. 

If you can't tell already...I just might be one of those! 
My little group, aka mom, hubby, and I have made it to day 16 of Whole30. It has been a roller coaster, for all of us, to get to this point. We've had upset bowls, gas, dizziness, faintness, mood swings, and even unexpected skin and gum reactions - - that I usually get from eating wheat!? I think things have quieted down now for most of us and we are just on the downward slope to the finish line. 

Except--me--Ugh! 

I continue to struggle.  Fortunately, I have a plan to eliminate some more sugar (from fruit) and add in some healthy fat in it's place. Hopefully, then, I will find that sweet spot that has been pretty elusive thus far. Here's to figuring out my crazy, insane body! Yes, I am doing a cheer with an empty glass since I'm not allowed to consume alcohol! 

Speaking of empty alcohol glasses, I really need to figure out if we are going to be done with Whole30 by Valentine's Day otherwise I may die from lack of chocolate!! 

But, seriously!

My chocolate obsession is probably just a hair smaller than my bacon one and that's saying something. ;) But, lets worry about that later and bring the focus back to B-A-C-O-N!! 

As I was editing my photos last night I realized that I had taken a ton of preparation photos. Which does make sense. This beautiful, bacon weave, cross hatch, quiche doesn't come easy. In fact I was doubting myself as I was putting all this effort into the quiche up until the moment I took a bite. From there, my hubby and I where pulling in all the reigns not to eat the entire 10 egg, 1 package of bacon quiche just between the two of us. Trust me the dogs didn't get any either! Believe me when I say we seriously almost ate the entire thing ourselves in one sitting!

You will be able to find the recipe and directions below, as usual, but let's go through the steps in pictorial story-telling fashion. 

Step 1: Let the bacon sit out on the counter for 15 to 20 minutes for you want to prepare your dish. This way when you go to make the (best part) bacon weave it is somewhat warm and pliable so.  This all allow you to stretch the bacon to fit your baking dish.

To make the weave, just take a medium sized oven proof pan - - I use cast iron - - and start with 2 pieces of bacon.  Keep adding and weaving in pieces of bacon until you get a bacon weave covering the entire base of the pan. 


Step 2: Bake the bacon weave in a 400 degree oven for 7 minutes. At the same time, bake any remaining bacon on aluminum foil until crispy. While the bacon is baking --- wait! say that 10 times fast! --- slice and dry one small potato. 



Step 3: After your bacon has baked for 7 minutes, remove pan from the oven and let it cool slightly. Reserve (most of) the bacon grease into a separate dish, then let sit to cool slightly. At this point, you can start prepping your veggies and eggs. 


Step 4: So, the bacon weave (best thing in the world!) has cooled slightly, now is the time to cover the bacon with the small potato slices. My thinking behind this is that the potatoes would absorb some of the bacon grease so you don't just get a supper greasy dish. Put the dish back in the oven for another 7 minutes. 


Step 5: Remove from oven and pour grease off into the reserve dish. This time, you will have to be a little bit more careful because the potato slices will want to fall off. Take the left over bacon that's been baking separately and add that grease to the separate dish as well. At this point, it is okay to eat one (or two) of your extra bacon strips! 


Step 6: Combine your random assortment of 'whatever you have in the fridge' veggies with the bacon grease! In a separate dish from your veggies beat 7 eggs, adding in salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. 



Step 7: Combine bacon grease covered veggies with the beaten eggs and crumbled up extra bacon pieces. Pour into bacon weave potato crust. 


Step 8: Now beat up 3 more eggs and pour gently on top of egg and veggie mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until you can jiggle the cast iron pan and the middle of the quiche seems firm. 


Step 9: Remove from oven, drain whatever grease is still in there (this grease you don't have to keep), flip upside down, and serve that baby up!! EnJoY! 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cross Hatch Bacon Quiche

Author: A Dash of Delish
Recipe type: breakfast
Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pkg bacon
  • 1 small potato
  • 10 eggs
  • assorted vegetables, I used: 
    • 4 mushrooms 
    • 1 small broccoli head
    • 1/2 onion
    • 1 large handful chopped spinach.
  • salt, pepper, & garlic to taste
METHOD:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
  2. Let bacon sit out on the counter-top for 15-20 minutes to allow it to come to room temperature. 
  3. Start with the bacon weave in an oven safe dish. I used my trusted cast iron pan! Take 2 strips of bacon and place in an 'X' adding one strip at a time lifting and laying the bacon as needed until you have your weave. If your bacon is near room temperature you can stretch the bacon pieces to fit your pan. 
  4. Bake for 7 minutes. Bake any leftover bacon on separate sheet until crisp.
  5. As the bacon weave is baking, slice and dry your small potato.
  6. Remove bacon weave, pour bacon grease into separate dish (to be combined with veggies), and let cool slightly. 
  7. Place potato slices as one layer covering the bacon cross hatch. Bake for another 7 minutes.
  8. As it is baking again chop your desired veggies. I like to chop mine pretty small for quiche.
  9. Beat 7 eggs in separate dish with salt, pepper, & garlic seasonings.
  10. Remove bacon & potato crust and again pour out the excess grease to be combined with the veggies. Also remove extra bacon and combine that grease with the veggies too.
  11. Mix the veggies, bacon grease, and extra bacon. Pour in the 7 beaten eggs and mix slightly.
  12. Pour egg and veggie mixture into crust. 
  13. Beat remaining 3 eggs and gently pour onto existing egg and veggie mixture.
  14. Bake for an additional 25-35 minutes at 375 or until the middle of the quiche seems firm and does not jiggle too much when testing it (simply by jiggling the pan). 
  15. Remove from oven and discard any remaining bacon grease. 
  16. Flip quiche over, serve, and EnJoY!




You Might Also Like

0 comments